This Week: Garden Club of Virginia 80th Historic Garden Week 2013 Continues
Northern Virginia homes and gardens are on the list of tours this week.
The Garden Club of Virginia's 80th Historic Garden Week continues this week, through April 27, and tickets are available.
Every April, garden clubs across the Commonwealth welcome visitors to more than 250 of Virginia's most beautiful gardens, homes and historic landmarks during "America's Largest Open House."
The eight-day statewide event provides visitors with an opportunity to see stunning gardens at the peak of Virginia's springtime color, as well as beautiful homes sparkling with more than 2,000 fabulous flower arrangements created by Garden Club of Virginia members.
Three areas in Northern Virginia are participating this year, with tours of homes and gardens in Old Town Alexandria (tour was Saturday), Vienna/Oakton and Waterford. Tickets, ranging from $10 to $40, are available online.
- Loudoun County-Waterford Tour is set for Monday, April 22, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sponsored by the Leesburg Garden Club and the Fauquier-Loudoun Garden Club, “Waterford: Where the Past is Always Present” is the theme of this house and garden tour. The frenetic pace of life drops to an ambling gait as you stroll the streets of Waterford. This tour invites you to take a leisurely walk into the past through a village settled in 1733. Its history will speak to you through the language of the architecture of the lovingly and accurately restored 18th century homes. Waterford, once a busy hub of commerce centered around the Janney Mill, was left to decay as the Civil War and subsequent railroad passed it by. Neglect nearly spelled the end for the village. By the late 1930’s interest in Waterford had begun to stir once again due to its picturesque rural setting and quiet pace. Buildings began to be carefully renovated and new life began to emerge. Since that time Waterford has been largely returned to its graceful and peaceful pace with homes and gardens that beckon exploration and a journey to another time. Exclusive of one home, this is a walking tour. It includes six homes and the Old School in Waterford.
- The Oakton/Vienna tour, sponsored by the Garden Club of Fairfax, is set for Tuesday, April 23, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Within close proximity to Washington D.C., the adjoining Fairfax County communities of Oakton and Vienna have emerged from small rural towns into thriving family-oriented neighborhoods with homes and gardens reflecting a wide range of architectural and personal style. Ticket price includes admission to the following locations:
- Cosby Home
- Unger Home and Garden
- Buster Home and Garden
- Kampa Home and Garden
- Rosenthal Home and Garden
- Meadowlark Botanical Gardens
Here's a list of the rest of the scheduled home and garden tours across Virginia during Historic Garden Week:
Monday, April 22:
- Nelson County/Albemarle – The Charlottesville, Albemarle and Rivanna Garden Clubs
- Waterford – The Leesburg Garden Club and the Fauquier-Loudoun Garden Club
Tuesday, April 23:
- Oakton/Vienna – The Garden Club of Fairfax
- Fredericksburg – The Rappahannock Valley Garden Club
- Lynchburg – Hillside and Lynchburg Garden Clubs
- Richmond – Chatham Hills/Windsor-on-the-James – The Boxwood, James River and Three Chopt Garden Clubs and The Tuckahoe Garden Club of Westhampton
- Williamsburg - Kingsmill Resort and the Colonial Area – The Williamsburg Garden Club
- Petersburg – The Petersburg Garden Club
Wednesday, April 24:
- Harrisonburg – The Spotswood Garden Club
- Martinsville – The Garden Club Study and the Martinsville Garden Club
- Hampton-Newport News – The Huntington and the Hampton Roads Garden Clubs
- Northern Neck/Northumberland County – The Garden Club of the Northern Neck
- Richmond – Laburnum Park – co-sponsored by The Council of Historic Richmond Foundation and The Boxwood, James River and Three Chopt Garden Clubs and The Tuckahoe Garden Club of Westhampton
- Virginia Beach – The Princess Anne and Virginia Beach Garden Clubs
- Warrenton – The Warrenton Garden Club
Thursday, April 25:
- Danville – Gabriella Garden Club and The Garden Club of Danville
- Norfolk – Ghent area - Norfolk Harborfront Garden Club and the Garden Club of Norfolk
- Richmond – Rothesay Circle/Lock Lomond Area – The Boxwood, James River and Three Chopt Garden Clubs and The Tuckahoe Garden Club of Westhampton
- Warrenton – The Warrenton Garden Club
Friday, April 26:
- Middle Peninsula – Lower King and Queen County Area – The Garden Club of the Middle Peninsula
Saturday, April 27:
- Eastern Shore – The Garden Club of the Eastern Shore
- Gloucester-Mathews – The Garden Club of Gloucester
- Lexington – The Blue Ridge Garden Club
- Roanoke – The Mill Mountain and Roanoke Valley Garden Clubs
- Winchester – Winchester-Clarke Garden Club and The Little Garden Club of Winchester
- Front Royal – The Garden Club of Warren County