Casey Schulman, a 22-year-old University of Virginia student at the time, died last December in Dominica. She was struck by the propeller of a catamaran during a snorkeling excursion.
Seeking funeral costs and other monetary relief, the civil complaint was filed in federal court in Miami against the Institute of Shipboard Education d/b/a Semester at Sea, Anchorage Hotel LTD, Global Citizens Travel, LLC, and Fountaine-Pajot S.A.
Also, October is Fire Prevention Month. There are two fire incidents — a mulch fire and a candle fire — included in our daily digest of news of note from around our Patches in Virginia and Washington, DC. See more below.
- Fire Department Responds to Mulch Fire in Franconia
- Man Charged with Assault on Police Officers, Drunk in Public
- Falls Church Family Files Lawsuit in Death of Daughter in Caribbean Boating Accident
- Wife of Libertarian Candidate for Governor Makes Video Plea to Include Him in Debate
- SPANX Hosts 'Booty Bash' At Tysons Corner Center
- Road Rage Incident Leads to Arrest for 'Brandishing a Firearm'
- Arlington Board Sets Limits on How Long Dogs Can Be Tied Up
- Arlington Bike Thief Sentenced to 12 Years
- Woman Struck in the Head With Pipe During Robbery
- Developer Offering $500K in Proffers to Reston Association for Piece of Lake Anne Land
- Mel Bergheim: 'A True Democratic Statesman'
- Candle Causes Serious Townhouse Fire, Displaces 3 in Fairfax
- Herndon High Football Player Sets Record, Featured in Magazine
- NOVA-Annandale Student Sexually Assaulted on Campus
- Burke Students Selected for 2013 Virginia Honors Choir