The map is now live, and available at http://www.vdotplows.org/. The map is updated every few minutes with videos of roads that still need to be plowed and which streets may be hazardous.
The National Weather Service has predicted that we may see up to 6 inches of snow in the region today.
Here are some safety tips from VDOT today:
- Avoid driving during the storm
- Prepare your car for winter driving conditions, including having an emergency kit in your car
- Prepare your home for winter weather conditions in case of power outages
- Before getting behind the wheel, call 511, go to www.511virginia.org or download the 511 mobile app to get the latest road condition information
- You can also call 800-FOR-ROAD (800-367-7623) to report road hazards or ask road-related questions at VDOT’s 24-hour Customer Service Center
- When driving, give yourself extra time to reach your destination, leave plenty of driving room between you and the vehicle ahead and slow down
- Watch a video showing how to drive on ice and snow covered roads
- Pay extra attention to bridges, overpasses and shady areas, which freeze first and can become very slick
- Prepare for fast changing weather and road conditions