The weekend is here and there are all sorts of fun things to do in Northern Virginia. Here's a sampling of events taking place in and around the area.
With this weekend's beautiful weather be sure to get outside! If you haven't already been (or even if you have) check out Frying Pan Farm Park, 2709 W. Ox Road in Herndon. The park preserves and interprets a 1920s through 1950s farm, agricultural process, rural community life and landscape for the educational, cultural and recreational enrichment of citizens and visitors of Fairfax County.
Admission is free to Frying Pan Farm Park and Kidwell Farm.
- Frying Pan Farm Park: open daily dawn to dusk
- Kidwell Farm: open daily 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Wagon Rides: Noon-4 p.m., Sundays (call to confirm)
- Country Store: 1 - 4:30 p.m., Sundays
- Visitor Center: Noon - 4:30 p.m., Sunday
- Indoor Arena: Hours vary (please call: 703-437-9101)
Located at 6625 S. Van Dorn St., miniature golf is available at TopGolf on Sundays from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m., 36 holes of miniature golf; admission is $8 or $6 children under 12.
Rent a kayak or canoe at Belle Haven Marina, starting at $25 for two hours. Sunday hours 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Belle Haven Marina, located just south of historic Old Town Alexandria, is a quaint, scenic marina owned by the National Park Service and operated by Belle Haven Marina Inc.
Part of the Liberty Lecture Series, "Women in the Early Republic" is the topic Sunday at 2:30 p.m. at Gunston Hall in Lorton. Prof. Lucia McMahon will speak about her book Mere Equals: The Paradox of Educated Women in the Early Republic.
Gunston Hall was once the center of a 5,500-acre tobacco and corn plantation. Its owner, George Mason IV (1725-1792), was a fourth generation Virginian who became a senior statesman and author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights, Mason was among the first to call for such fundamental American liberties as religious toleration and freedom of the press. Hours are 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Admission: Adults $10; seniors (60 and above) - $8; children 6 - 18 - $5; children under 6 - free. Friends of Gunston Hall - Free
- Where: Dulles Expo Center
- When: Sunday 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- What: Boats, boats and more boats! That’s what you’ll see at one of the largest Boat Shows in the region. Dealers from Virginia and Maryland will fill the building with everything from jon boats to motor yachts. Marinas, electronics, water sports and safety equipment will be on display. Plus you can talk to experts about insurance, financing, repair, maintenance and boating safety.
- Admission: Adults $10; children 16 and younger admitted FREE
Head to the winery, 13219 Yates Ford Road, Clifton, Sunday from Noon-5 p.m., join the Paradise Springs winemakers as they host their annual Barrel Tastings (Futures) in the Barrel Room. Guests will have the opportunity to enter the barrel room and taste future Paradise Springs wines from the 2012 vintage. Learn how certain types of oak influence wines in different ways or how vineyard site selection is critical to the different flavors a wine can impart. No reservations needed. First come, first serve. Groups will start every 20 minutes. $25 per person. Includes sampling of 6-8 wines. Light fare paired with selections. For more information, call (703) 830-9463
Sunday at Green Spring Gardens, 4603 Green Spring Road, Alexandria, from 1:30 p.m.-3 p.m. By planting more natives in your managed landscape, you support and encourage an abundance of life. Learn from Janet Davis of Hill House Nursery how to pamper your pollinators, beguile butterflies and boost birds - all while enjoying a beautiful garden yourself. For more information, call (703) 642-517; admission: $10
Sunday, 1 p.m. at Vienna Presbyterian Church, 124 Park St. NE, Vienna. For more information, call (703) 642-8051. AYPO Presents Free Master Class Performances by musicians from the Chamber Ensemble Program The Ensemble da Camera of Washington, In-Residence Claire Eichhorn, Clarinet ; Anna Balakerskaia, Piano ; Ricardo Cyncynates, Violin/Viola. Select movements from: Beethoven: String Quartets Op. 18, Brahms: Horn Trio in E-flat major Op. 40, Beethoven: Serenade in D, Op. 25, Martinú: Oboe Quartet
Sunday Noon to 5 p.m., at Woodson High School, 9525 Main St, Fairfax. For more information, call (703) 860-2711. Admission: $10 adults / $5 children 18 and under/babies free.
The event will feature a screening of the film In Organic We Trust, "an eye-opening food documentary that takes a closer look at the 'organic' philosophy and label and gives a view beyond organic for practical solutions for me and you." After the film, there will be an option of a panel discussion on local foods or joining one of several gardening classes taught by professionals in the area. Fields of Athenry's Farm-to-Table Kitchen will offer hearty healthy meals, including vegetarian and raw food items, for purchase in the cafeteria.
Sunday, 4 p.m. (doors open at 3:30 p.m.), Workhouse Arts Center, W-3 Theatre, 9601 Ox Road, Lorton. For more information, call (703) 584-2900. Admission: $25 general admission, $20 senior/military, $10 youth/student. Cash bar and concessions will be available for purchase.
BRASS 5, one of America's most successful educational ensembles has been an active part of the Mid- Atlantic arts scene for 29 years. The "5" offer a vast repertoire from Renaissance, Classical, Dixieland, Swing, Jazz, Rock to Country and more, they easily have something for everyone, young and old alike. BRASS 5 performances have been featured on numerous television and Public Radio and TV programs and have been broadcast live on National Public Radio. Eager to create exciting music, Brass 5 has been featured in concerts throughout Europe and the Mid-Atlantic area.
Fairfax County's only publicly-owned indoor ice arena is designed for year-round use. It includes a warming room, coaches room, skate rental area, skate sharpening services, hockey team locker rooms, as well as an NHL official size rink. For more information, call 703-768-3224.
- Public sessions: General plus special sessions such as Adults Only, Rock 'n Blades DJ sessions for skating enthusiasts, and Stick & Puck and Pick-up Hockey sessions for hockey enthusiasts.
- Learn-to-skate classes for all ages and abilities.
- Ice hockey and recreational skating classes.
- Freestyle program featuring World and Olympic-class coaches and skaters.
- Host rink to Puckstoppers Goaltending Schools, Puckstoppers Shooting & Accuracy Schools, and Sport International Hockey Academy.
- Home rink of the Northern Virginia Ice Dogs Youth Hockey Club.
- Home to several adult leagues. All levels welcomed.
- Cool party place for birthdays and group outings.
Ice Skating Calendars
For public skating and activities schedules, and freestyle skate times, refer to:
Want to let others know about an event happening this weekend? Add it to the Comments box below!