This year's theme focuses on preventing kitchen fires. According to the Fire and Rescue Department, firefighters and paramedics will have interactive displays and activities emphasizing fire safety.
The Chantilly Fire Station will host its open house on Saturday from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. The station is located at 14005 Vernon Street, Chantilly.
In recognition of Fire Prevention Week, the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department offers the following fire safety facts:
- In 2011, U.S. fire departments responded to 370,000 home structure fires. These involved 13,910 civilian injuries, 2,520 civilian deaths, $6.9 billion in direct damage.
- On average, seven die in U.S. home fires every day.
- Cooking is the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries, followed by heating type fires. Smoking is a leading cause of civilian home fire deaths.
- Two of every five home fires start in the kitchen.
- Unattended cooking is a factor in 34 percent of reported home cooking fires.
- Ranges accounted for 58 percent of home cooking fires. Ovens accounted for 19 percent.
- The leading factor contributing to heating equipment fires was failure to clean, primarily creosote from chimneys.
- Portable heaters, including wood stoves, were involved with one-third of home fires.
- Almost two-thirds of reported home fire deaths resulted from fires with no working smoke alarms.
To learn more about fire prevention, go to www.firepreventionweek.org.